Skip to main content

New Year's fashion resolutions and a competition


The hangover’s subsided, I’m back at my desk and I’m thinking about my 2013 fashion resolutions. My first resolution is to make use of what’s already in my wardrobes – they’re jam packed as it is. It turns out I’ve already subscribed to one of Spring’s trends – the belted floral dress – completely by accident thanks to the bargain £10 Oasis dress I picked up in the sales. It’s the right length, the right colour and the right floaty fabric – anyone would think I had an innate sense of style or something.




I’m less convinced about the trend for collarless blouses – I’m still far too enamoured of the embellished collar I bought from some of our students at work to consider going completely collar free, but I do already have a few silky blouses with v necks that will cover that base. Perhaps I should finally invest in a leather pencil skirt, and so combine with what Marie Claire refers to as “the Helmut Newton effect”, which sounds so much more stylish than the “50 Shades” effect.

Resolution number two is also wardrobe related – I pledge to finally do what my mother has been telling me I should do for three years and take anything I don’t wear to the charity shop. That might just about free up enough space for some of the boy’s shirts, too, which will give him even more incentive to move in than just the pleasure of my company 24/7.

As well as the dominatrix look, the glossy mags got very excited about the water trend that was popping up everywhere on the S/S13 catwalks. I think it looked best at Donna Karan, thanks to her flowing pale turquoise silk and laser cut dresses. Third resolution - to find myself an affordable High Street version that looks just as good.

Another huge trend was dresses with cutouts – and in particular white dresses with cutouts. Now I’m not a size eight (although thanks to the Norovirus I’m not that far off any more) and I don’t intend to flash my pale and wobbly tummy to the world, but I was rather taken with Diane Von Furstenberg’s white shift dress with a cutout neckline. So there’s resolution number four: Don’t write off a trend too quickly – there may be different ways of styling it which suit you better than you initially thought.

So there’s my New Year’s fashion resolutions, what are yours? Post them in the comments section below before midnight next Friday (Jan 11th) and the best one will win this ring in either vanilla or lemon: http://folksy.com/items/3528537-Vanilla-cream-rose-ring

Comments

Unknown said…
My resolution is similar to yours - sort out my wardrobe. Made a start already and donated 3 bin bags full to the local hospice shop and one bagful is ready for collection with 'cash for clothes.com'. I feel better already. I have been ruthless with it all - will I wear it? Have I used it? If the answer is no then in the bag it went. Onward and upward. I can now see parts of my bedroom floor I hadn't seen for ages!
Unknown said…
My first fashion resolution is also to utilise what I already have in my wardrobe, I'm on a shopping ban until Easter in a bid to wear all those items lurking in the depths of my wardrobe. My second fashion resolution is to embrace the printed trouser! I have long admired people confident enough to wear them and I've finally taken the plunge with a burgundy polka dot pair from Topshop and a rainforest floral pair and an aztec print pair both from the Next sale. So far I'm sticking to both and loving it so heres hoping i can stick to them!
Kat said…
And the winner - based on a coin flip coz I liked both your resolutions - is Sam Spibey. Email me your address and whether you want the ring in vanilla or lemon to made_with_love @ rocketmail dot com and I'll get it sent out to you. Congratulations!

Popular posts from this blog

Look! My craft stall!

Well the craft market at the Midsummer Festival this weekend didn't go brilliantly for me thanks to the rain, but lots of people did take business cards so hopefully they will go home and order online from the cosiness of their houses. But look how pretty my stall looked! And all made on a budget of about 50p, proving that you don't need to spend a fortune on display things: Of course, the highlight for me was lovely Thomas, the Clydesdale horse who had his shoes remade (they were huge! ) and gave small children rides up and down Churchgate. He was adorable.

Review: Hand Lettering A to Z by Abbey Sy

I've been wanting to try my hand at "proper" hand lettering for a while - I often get complimented on my handwriting but when it comes to lettering for journalling or cards I'm never quite as happy with the outcome as I hope to be. So when the lovely folks at Quarto Publishing got in touch with their Autumn catalogue I was thrilled to see how many titles they had on the subject. Hand Lettering A to Z by Abbey Sy is a gorgeous place to start. Abbey's instagram is absolutely lush (follow here here ) and I particularly love her Bangkok photos as we've just returned from there, so I was super excited to be able to have a look at her book. The book takes you through a range of hand drawn fonts, plus has additional chapters on embellishments and a gorgeous gallery of inspiration. See how beautiful? So exciting. I was so excited, in fact, that I totally ignored her advice to get a sharp pencil and a proper table to work at. 'I can do this in

A bright Malta layout with stitching

We had such a lovely time on our recent trip to Malta - and I got lots of photos that I'm enjoying making into layouts and mini albums. This one was taken at the gate to Mdina, where the first season of Game of Thrones was filmed. I didn't realise at the time that Luke was being silly behind me!   I used the Mr Huey double yellow mist from the latest Like For Ever kit to make a sunny background, and stitched sunbeams using the yellow ombre thread from the mixed media add-on. The ephemera was from last month's "In Bloom" kit, but I thought it was so lovely and bright it matched perfectly - I've been dying to use those feathers on something lovely!