Skip to main content

Valentine's ideas

Flowers, chocolates, diamonds... They'd all be appreciated, but for a really special Valentine's Day gift why not look a little off the beaten track?

To start with the more traditional gifts, there are plenty of finds on Folksy incorporating hearts. This cute felt brooch is an inexpensive gift, perfect if you are in the early stages of your relationship and want to show your affection without going over the top. In fact, at just £3, why wait until Valentine's Day? You can buy it here.

For a more serious gift, jewellery is always the best option. This silver heart necklace by Ali Bali Jewellery is contemporary and stylish:

Or for a more vintage style, this resin heart incorporating an original print of tree branches and a vintage button is the perfect gift. You can buy it here.

Of course, my jewellery also incorporates real vintage bits and bobs. I suggest this Fly Away With Me necklace, which is made from pink freshwater pearls, a brass swallow from New York, a gorgeously sparkling vintage chandelier drop and a satin bow:

I'm hoping that I receive these earrings by Aeris Designs, which were inspired by the recent snow. They feature freshwater pearls wrapped in wire, and are only £10:

I also love this hand dyed rosette brooch from American seller FriendlyBanter, available from her Etsy shop. The colours are perfectly romantic, and it would go with everything from my pinstripe jacket to cocktail dresses.

I love the idea of buying framed prints for people, although you have to be brave and know them really well - it's an incredibly intimate gift. These are two of my current favourites, for different reasons. The Girl and The Fox (buy it here) is charming and winsome, while Dance With Me (buy it here) has a spooky quality, I like the incongruity of the teapot and weird masks:

Finally, if you're looking for a really quirky gift, nothing says "I love you" more than a tiny owl in a tiny box, that's what Daisy Lily who made this gorgeous "Titch" believes anyway. He is available from her Folksy shop.


Comments

Alison Reid said…
Oh, how cool! Thanks for featuring my pendant!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Look! My craft stall!

Well the craft market at the Midsummer Festival this weekend didn't go brilliantly for me thanks to the rain, but lots of people did take business cards so hopefully they will go home and order online from the cosiness of their houses. But look how pretty my stall looked! And all made on a budget of about 50p, proving that you don't need to spend a fortune on display things: Of course, the highlight for me was lovely Thomas, the Clydesdale horse who had his shoes remade (they were huge! ) and gave small children rides up and down Churchgate. He was adorable.

Review: Hand Lettering A to Z by Abbey Sy

I've been wanting to try my hand at "proper" hand lettering for a while - I often get complimented on my handwriting but when it comes to lettering for journalling or cards I'm never quite as happy with the outcome as I hope to be. So when the lovely folks at Quarto Publishing got in touch with their Autumn catalogue I was thrilled to see how many titles they had on the subject. Hand Lettering A to Z by Abbey Sy is a gorgeous place to start. Abbey's instagram is absolutely lush (follow here here ) and I particularly love her Bangkok photos as we've just returned from there, so I was super excited to be able to have a look at her book. The book takes you through a range of hand drawn fonts, plus has additional chapters on embellishments and a gorgeous gallery of inspiration. See how beautiful? So exciting. I was so excited, in fact, that I totally ignored her advice to get a sharp pencil and a proper table to work at. 'I can do this in

A bright Malta layout with stitching

We had such a lovely time on our recent trip to Malta - and I got lots of photos that I'm enjoying making into layouts and mini albums. This one was taken at the gate to Mdina, where the first season of Game of Thrones was filmed. I didn't realise at the time that Luke was being silly behind me!   I used the Mr Huey double yellow mist from the latest Like For Ever kit to make a sunny background, and stitched sunbeams using the yellow ombre thread from the mixed media add-on. The ephemera was from last month's "In Bloom" kit, but I thought it was so lovely and bright it matched perfectly - I've been dying to use those feathers on something lovely!