Skip to main content

Quick DIY project: Cute paper tag



I'm OBSESSED with playing with paper at the moment. Whether it's my Project Life album, mini albums inspired by Stephanie Bryant, scrapbook pages to go up on the wall, cards or more, I love messing about with patterned paper, ephemera, stickers and all the other gorgeous crafty bits.

I know that sometimes it seems like there's not enough time to be creative, but that's simply not true! I made this cute tag in about quarter of an hour, and I felt so happy when it was done!

I used this Maggie Holmes how-to to make the tassel - I've been playing about with modifications of my own which I'll post soon, along with instructions, but for now head over to Maggie's site - it's so gorgeous and full of inspiration, you won't regret it.



Once I'd made the tassel, I attached it to some embroidery thread, with the other end tied to a plain brown kraft tag. The I pulled out loads of bits of ephemera from my stash - I was using bits from the Maggie Holmes Confetti and Heidi Swapp Mixed Media E[hemera collections which I ordered at the beginning of November and FINALLY arrived mid-January (top tip: never use BIC Warehouse on Amazon, they didn't even send my entire order, and tried to argue with me when I complained...). It's mostly about playing about with the pieces and layering them up how you like - don't be afraid to go over the edges of the tag to get this wonderful relaxed feeling - then fixing them in place with a tiny dab of glue or a glue dot before adding the little gold peg.

With a lot of birthdays coming up soon, I'm so happy that I get to pass this gorgeous tag on to someone with their gift - I hope they like it!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Look! My craft stall!

Well the craft market at the Midsummer Festival this weekend didn't go brilliantly for me thanks to the rain, but lots of people did take business cards so hopefully they will go home and order online from the cosiness of their houses. But look how pretty my stall looked! And all made on a budget of about 50p, proving that you don't need to spend a fortune on display things: Of course, the highlight for me was lovely Thomas, the Clydesdale horse who had his shoes remade (they were huge! ) and gave small children rides up and down Churchgate. He was adorable.

Review: Hand Lettering A to Z by Abbey Sy

I've been wanting to try my hand at "proper" hand lettering for a while - I often get complimented on my handwriting but when it comes to lettering for journalling or cards I'm never quite as happy with the outcome as I hope to be. So when the lovely folks at Quarto Publishing got in touch with their Autumn catalogue I was thrilled to see how many titles they had on the subject. Hand Lettering A to Z by Abbey Sy is a gorgeous place to start. Abbey's instagram is absolutely lush (follow here here ) and I particularly love her Bangkok photos as we've just returned from there, so I was super excited to be able to have a look at her book. The book takes you through a range of hand drawn fonts, plus has additional chapters on embellishments and a gorgeous gallery of inspiration. See how beautiful? So exciting. I was so excited, in fact, that I totally ignored her advice to get a sharp pencil and a proper table to work at. 'I can do this in

A bright Malta layout with stitching

We had such a lovely time on our recent trip to Malta - and I got lots of photos that I'm enjoying making into layouts and mini albums. This one was taken at the gate to Mdina, where the first season of Game of Thrones was filmed. I didn't realise at the time that Luke was being silly behind me!   I used the Mr Huey double yellow mist from the latest Like For Ever kit to make a sunny background, and stitched sunbeams using the yellow ombre thread from the mixed media add-on. The ephemera was from last month's "In Bloom" kit, but I thought it was so lovely and bright it matched perfectly - I've been dying to use those feathers on something lovely!