Skip to main content

Thrifty shopping tips

Some time ago I compiled my top 10 tips for junk shop shopping for Craftier magazine's "Frugal Crafting" issue. For those of you who haven't had a chance to see them, here they are:


1. Get up early


Most car boot sales “officially” start at 8am, but traders get there from 6am (or earlier!) to set up - and professional bargain hunters get there at the same time to make sure they get the best bargains as soon as they are unwrapped.


2. Don’t rush


Charity shops, thrift stores, junk shops and car boots all have one thing in common - if you’re going to find a bargain you have to be patient. Set aside a good amount of time so you can have a proper dig around without feeling you have to rush back to your desk.


3. Learn to haggle


Just because there is a price on a tag doesn’t mean that’s what you have to pay. Go lower than you are willing to pay and hopefully they will meet you in the middle - or even agree to your first offer!>/p>

4. Befriend your charity shop manager - part one


Charity shops get donated all sorts of stuff - some is great and some is rubbish. Broken jewellery would normally be binned - but crafters could give it a new lease of life. Ask the manager if he or she will set broken pieces aside for you to buy at a cheap price - and you’re helping charity!


5. Keep your eyes open


I once found a beautiful but damaged vintage rhinestone brooch in the middle of a field after a horse show. Now it’s a gorgeous new necklace.


6. Do your research


Particularly important if you are buying online - it will help you spot the difference between a real vintage piece and reproduction. Learn which names to look out for, like Coro, Krementz and Sarah Coventry.


7. Don’t let a bit of dirt put you off


What can initially look like a grubby bit of junk could turn out to be a sparkling treasure after a little warm water, washing up liquid and a soft toothbrush.


8.Befriend you charity shop owner - part two


Ask the manager at your local charity shop what days they usually put new stock out on. Then you can be the first to scope out the bargains.


9.Be open minded


Will that horrible looking dress make a quirky cushion? Can you customise that quilted handbag and make it look like Chanel? Always be aware that an initially unpromising item could be reworked into something cool.


10.Be quick


This is particularly true at car boot sales - if you walk away from an item to think about whether you want it be prepared for it not to be there when you go back. Snap up bargains quickly - you can always give them to your local charity shop if they turn out to be no good.

Comments

Abi said…
Love the tips!
I do love Charity shop surfing, you often find the most interesting things!
I've never been one for Car boots though, waaaaaaaaay too early in the morning!!
Abi x

Popular posts from this blog

Look! My craft stall!

Well the craft market at the Midsummer Festival this weekend didn't go brilliantly for me thanks to the rain, but lots of people did take business cards so hopefully they will go home and order online from the cosiness of their houses. But look how pretty my stall looked! And all made on a budget of about 50p, proving that you don't need to spend a fortune on display things: Of course, the highlight for me was lovely Thomas, the Clydesdale horse who had his shoes remade (they were huge! ) and gave small children rides up and down Churchgate. He was adorable.

Review: Hand Lettering A to Z by Abbey Sy

I've been wanting to try my hand at "proper" hand lettering for a while - I often get complimented on my handwriting but when it comes to lettering for journalling or cards I'm never quite as happy with the outcome as I hope to be. So when the lovely folks at Quarto Publishing got in touch with their Autumn catalogue I was thrilled to see how many titles they had on the subject. Hand Lettering A to Z by Abbey Sy is a gorgeous place to start. Abbey's instagram is absolutely lush (follow here here ) and I particularly love her Bangkok photos as we've just returned from there, so I was super excited to be able to have a look at her book. The book takes you through a range of hand drawn fonts, plus has additional chapters on embellishments and a gorgeous gallery of inspiration. See how beautiful? So exciting. I was so excited, in fact, that I totally ignored her advice to get a sharp pencil and a proper table to work at. 'I can do this in

A bright Malta layout with stitching

We had such a lovely time on our recent trip to Malta - and I got lots of photos that I'm enjoying making into layouts and mini albums. This one was taken at the gate to Mdina, where the first season of Game of Thrones was filmed. I didn't realise at the time that Luke was being silly behind me!   I used the Mr Huey double yellow mist from the latest Like For Ever kit to make a sunny background, and stitched sunbeams using the yellow ombre thread from the mixed media add-on. The ephemera was from last month's "In Bloom" kit, but I thought it was so lovely and bright it matched perfectly - I've been dying to use those feathers on something lovely!